Skip to main content

Hike To Kalinchowk

A long-pending bucket list, I got to go see for myself the beautiful Kuri village on the weekend of my birthday which was totally coincidental. We had our Hiace van, but knowing beforehand it won't take us to Charikot, we decided to take a bus from Kathmandu itself. We found a reasonable package deal from Fireside Resort at Kuri with pick up, drop off, bed, breakfast, and dinner. Our bus was to pick us up at 7 and leave by 7:30 am in the morning but the bus driver demanded extra money at the last minute with the travel manager and hence we were at Sallaghari until 11 am.
Fortunately, he (Santosh Ji) managed to get us another bus. We stopped by Sukute for lunch at 2 pm. Our driver was an old man and his driving pace was very safe meaning we would be very late when we reached our destination. But better safe than sorry.
Due to the rain a day before, the roads in some places were very muddy and slippery and hence our bus stuck in 2 places. We lost about 1 hour in that chaos. By 6 we had reached the last stop where our bus was to drop us off. Due to rain and snowfall, the previous day ordinary vehicles became unable to cross Deurali.
Taking a short bathroom break, we started dealing with the Bolero drivers. Agreeing on NRs 250 per head, we took two boleros, some getting the luxury to crowd inside the seats and some getting the luxury of the open sky.
1 hour later we reached Gairi. The snow was so thick after Gairi, we had to change vehicles again. From here on, only the boleros with a chain tucked in the back tyres could cross. We lost 30 minutes again trying to find a vehicle as the only two there were already reserved. Somehow, we found a place for 4 and sent our 4 fellow hikers along. The rest of us started walking in the snowy path. Slipping and wondering we kept walking in the chilling night. Since the full moon was 2 days back. the clouds below us and the snowy hills shined in the bright light of the almost full moon.
After walking for about an hour, the hotel sent a pickup for us and our gang hopped in.
When we got the first glimpse of the Kuri village, all the troubles, and obstacles we had faced that day faded away. A valley surrounded by white hills and beautifully crafted huts with carefully placed lights was a sight I will remember for a long time.
We then settled in, in the campfire that was made for us, ordered some snacks and only after filling in our hungry tummy, we went to our rooms to change. But it was so chilling that for most of us it was less like changing and more like adding more layers of clothes.
We sang, danced in front of the campfire, enjoyed good food and chitchatted until 12 am. Then a friend of mine closed my eyes and everyone started cheering. They had organized a super amazing birthday surprise for me in such a remote place. A birthday I will remember forever because they put the cake on my face despite me begging. I mean who wouldn't beg to save the trouble of washing your face in such freezing weather.
Due to the snow and our not so good shoes, we planned to get a ride of cable car instead of choosing to hike. The cable car would start operating at 5:30 am so we decided to wake up at 5 am and leave by 5:30 am. Getting to our cold as ice beds when we got in, we fell asleep like a rock.

The next morning, we freshened up and reached the cable car operation house by 5:45 am but they only finished the testing after 7am. Until then, we enjoyed the marvelous beauty that Kuri Valley beheld.





The ride of the cable car was of 5 minutes only for which we paid NRs 500 including the return ticket. We still had to walk a distance of 10 minutes from thereon. But due to the snow, it took us at least half an hour. The path to the temple of Kalinchowk Goddess was so damn scary already and the snow only added to that. One slip could mean slipping off the hill. At one section, two hills were conjoined by the stairs of iron. The temple overlooked the Kuri valley, Charikot, Gangapurna mountain range and Sagarmatha mountain range followed by hills with trees covered in snow which looked no less than a painting and a wallpaper picture. Even though, we had missed the sunrise soon after the weather got cloudy for a moment and it started to snow lightly. The wind was howling, and the clouds circled above us, yet they did not disturb the view of the white snowy mountains on the far range. The round of fresh air hit our nose, and serenity surely touched us at that moment. Peace was found, and so was happiness and a delight. Maybe it was heaven we found on earth itself. 



 We also sighted a cruel practice of animal sacrifice in the temple which torn apart the momentary tranquility I had had. One of the devotees had brought a small goat who was shivering due to cold and the fate that awaited. Unable to see, I left the group and headed down wondering in my mind, yes hell is also here.


Our breakfast was waiting for us in our hotel and we all devoured in the food. We lazed around after having our breakfast. Then at 10:30 am, we started marching forward as we packed our heavy bags and took out our trekking poles. We walked up to the bus station where we also sighted a skier.


Again, we took a vehicle up to Gairi, then changed another up to Deurali where we had more tea and cookies. Our bus then took us to Charikot for lunch which we ate at 2:30 pm. Since we were already late, we ditched our plan to visit Dolakha Bhimsen Temple which was only 30 minutes away from our lunch destination. We wanted to cross the muddy trails before dark and so we started off again. We reached Khadichaur by 6pm and stopped by Dolalghat for some snacks.
With this ended our beautiful trip to Kalinchowk.

Comments

Popular

Days of life

Lifeless am i? Laying down On my bed I cant move I can see I cant hear Thoughts have conjested A cup of tea i ask Nd a bed to sleep And let me live in peace 12 inch washing tub Placed in my bedroom  I have shame but had no washroom So let me live in peace So the other day i text ya know? My bunch of people I tell em am tensed got some problem at work Ya know they were tensed equally? Alas not a lil trace of it for me , shoot. Why are you scared? Did you do something wrong? Am only human, too much on my mind, you only add to my pain Oh my mother don't know But she has nothing to worry about She asks me to help her But i cant move a feet She is tired of physical pain I am tired of my thoughts At nights i awoke, there was a fight i had to win Asked for help And now the enemy is butchering me My body lies in my bed Lifeless I cant move a feet I can only see My heart is so heavy Weaving thoughts and we

My Lucid Dream

I want to spread my arms As wide as i can Close my  eyes  Shut everything off And let myself go Fall so deep And as i fall I want to fly  As high as i can go Live my dream Feel the excitement of flying No more as a dream No more so real yet so dreamy feel The clear blue sky above me And oh so far the land is I rest then upon the green grass ground See the beautiful white clouds Like a hot air balloon In the sky I see the beautiful mountains Oh so beautiful they are As i am flying  Only my eyes and memories have them captured My eyes open I am in my bed But i cant let go of my dream So i wana spread my arms As wide as i can Shut my eyes off And let myself go Fall deep  Fall so deep  And as i almost touch the ground I will find my wings....

A strange friendship

Lately I haven't been a morning person. Well who am i kidding i have never been a morning person. Anyways, today i had to visit a temple nearby because my mom wanted me to. So in my own time i went there. I organized my puja thali. And when i was doing so I noticed a little girl who was looking at what i was doing fascinatingly. There was this goat as well who was also fascinated by some flowers and a raddish i had in my thali.  I started doing my puja, fully aware the goat was eyeing my puja thali.  In our culture we first offer puja to lord ganesh. Only then we offer puja to other gods. After doing the same, offering my puja to lord ganesh,i went inside the main temple of Bhairav. She tagged along and later i realized so did the goat.  The goat was disturbing  in a cute way. And the lil girl forcefully offered her help by holiding my thali for me. While i was kneeling down and doing my worship, she was making offerings from the thali herself.  And our bond started. The tem