Skip to main content

Veg Non veg

This post is dedicated to my journey of vegetarianism. My journey of being a vegetarian was not a random decision of my life. It did not happen in a snap. And please note it in advance I am not here to judge anyone. 
My aunt has been a vegetarian since she was a little kid. It won’t be wrong to say My mama has been a vegetarian all his life. These two peoples although belonging to a newar family practiced vegetarianism and my grand mother had been supportive of this. My aunt chose to not eat meat for the sake of not consciously killing and eating a soul. My mama, he is such a sober man. His body does not agree with meat or alcohol.
I have been around them. I used to be very close to my aunt. Hence, she definitely influenced my decision, not by telling me I should stop, but through her act of living a life of vegetarian.

Secondly, I have lived my life around animals. We always had a dog at home. We had hens, we had rabbits. I think I learnt to empathise with them because I grew up being their friends , their big sister, sometimes even their small kiddo sister. I have known the pain of losing them.
As a kid, I never realised what eating meat really was. The whole idea of killing an animal for the sake of our taste bud never struck me. as wrong or right. But as I started to grow, as I started to realise that “Actors in a movie don’t die for real.  The same actor is seen in another movie not because it’s their second life. The moon is not following us. I wont die by chewing a gum. “, I also started to realise the reality of meat business. I came across the scenes as “dragging a goat for killing it, tying hens upside down on two sides of leg guards of a bike to sell them for meat” a lot many times,  but slowly these things started affecting me. 

I was not a meat-holic ever, but I ate nevertheless. My tongue liked the taste of it. But, it started to get very hard to swallow my food with meat. I could not. I just could not. I remember very vividly the day I last ate meat knowingly and purposely. I couldn’t eat more than two spoons of rice. The whole image of slaughter and torture to animals played again and again. I cried. I cried so much. And from then and there I have not returned back. I hope I never have to return back. I hope I never fall so weak. 
This happened back in 2008. 
I am healthy. I am strong. I am not nutrient deprived. And I am so full of energy. 
Now almost 10 years from my amazing journey, I have learnt one more thing. 
Until few weeks back I had no idea how the milk comes from an animal. I had no idea how cows and buffalos give milk. I thought they are cows /buffalos and it just comes. I was so wrong and stupid. The dairy farm is such a mess too. But I’ll come back here later.

Almost 10 years and there are hardly days where these whole “being a vegetarian” things does not come up. Honestly, I am so tired and so frustrated with all the nagging and pointing I get for this. 
Some call it fashion, some call it attention seeking, some call it “trying to look good, trying to be different”. And almost everyone tells me “Why do you eat plant?”.
I know I post a lot about animals, about vegetarian way of life.  Most of the times it’s only to let people know what is happening. Yes, I agree I get really sad during Dashain and make post to make people feel responsible. But mostly just so everyone knows what they are dealing with. I don’t tell people around “leave meat, why are you eating meat and bla bla”.  It’s my decision to not eat meat just like it’s your decision to eat meat. I don’t support your way but I don’t hate you for eating it. I don’t think less of your for it ( except at few times when you behave so irrational). Few years back it was hard to find proper vegetarian food outside of Home. Now it’s become much better. I am not so good with eating healthy balanced diet. So it’s already a hard life for me. You nagging me all the time, pointing fingers at me all the time makes it more difficult. Your questions are stupid, your reasoning are stupid too. You calling me dumb makes you dumber. Don’t support me, it's okay but please don’t nag me. 

I remember, during my first year of vegetarianism, one of my best friend when we were out said “ agadi masu leraera rakhdyo vane sab khancha hola (I can bet she will devour the plate if we bring meat in front of her)” and they laughed at me. There was more but let’s not go there. 
“Anda khancha? Esto ni vegetarian?”
I started eating eggs after I knew most of the commercially sold eggs are not fertilised. Although now I have kind of left it again for other reason. Anyways, what I am trying to say is: I am trying my best to live a life that does not harm animals. I can, ill do it. I can’t, I won’t give up but keep trying. But My non vegetarian friends wont understand this.

I know since ages humans have relied on meat. That has been our evolution. But we are sentient beings. We have the power to give justice. The innocent animals that are reared, cannot speak up for themselves. Their shrieks and pleading are unheard. We can bring change in their life and give them the life they deserve. To talk about plant saving, in the meat business animals are fed more than they should be so they sale for more money. Those extra plant feeding if fed to world population will solve hunger problems across the world. This is according to a recent study. If you don’t believe me google it. If I am wrong educate me. 
Talking about life cycle. Let nature do that. We are destroying nature is so many ways and you are giving life cycle as a problem?

And now I want to try as much as I can to adopt a life of a vegan. It’s difficult and I might not completely do it but I want to give it a try. Please don’t point fingers at me, don’t demotivate me. If you are worried about me look for alternatives instead. Don’t call me dumb. I am not. I am fully aware of my decision. I am sorry but it hurts me to see an animal being tied up in their neck and tail and transported a long way crumbled in a truck. If you feel pain making long travels even when you take business class plane tickets, can you imagine the pain of those innocent animals? I have seen them cry. To see their life after their truck, their future in a blink: "Death", how is that pleasing at all?. I am sorry but I am made this way. Just like you are made your way. It’s difficult for you to give meat up, that’s okay. That’s understandable.  But it’s not difficult to educate yourself about the reality of meat business, the reality of dairy business.  You don’t have to stop eating meat, but be aware and be “non non-supportive” on veganism or vegetarianism. Learn where you meat comes from, learn how fully animals enjoy living life like you do, learn how dairy products come from and ask yourself is there nothing you can do for them? Is there nothing you can do for them?
Let’s make as small change as we can. It’s the ripple that brings a wave.
If you disagree send me a message or leave a comment. Let us discuss this once and for all. 

Comments

Popular

Days of life

Lifeless am i? Laying down On my bed I cant move I can see I cant hear Thoughts have conjested A cup of tea i ask Nd a bed to sleep And let me live in peace 12 inch washing tub Placed in my bedroom  I have shame but had no washroom So let me live in peace So the other day i text ya know? My bunch of people I tell em am tensed got some problem at work Ya know they were tensed equally? Alas not a lil trace of it for me , shoot. Why are you scared? Did you do something wrong? Am only human, too much on my mind, you only add to my pain Oh my mother don't know But she has nothing to worry about She asks me to help her But i cant move a feet She is tired of physical pain I am tired of my thoughts At nights i awoke, there was a fight i had to win Asked for help And now the enemy is butchering me My body lies in my bed Lifeless I cant move a feet I can only see My heart is so heavy Weaving thoughts and we

My Lucid Dream

I want to spread my arms As wide as i can Close my  eyes  Shut everything off And let myself go Fall so deep And as i fall I want to fly  As high as i can go Live my dream Feel the excitement of flying No more as a dream No more so real yet so dreamy feel The clear blue sky above me And oh so far the land is I rest then upon the green grass ground See the beautiful white clouds Like a hot air balloon In the sky I see the beautiful mountains Oh so beautiful they are As i am flying  Only my eyes and memories have them captured My eyes open I am in my bed But i cant let go of my dream So i wana spread my arms As wide as i can Shut my eyes off And let myself go Fall deep  Fall so deep  And as i almost touch the ground I will find my wings....

A strange friendship

Lately I haven't been a morning person. Well who am i kidding i have never been a morning person. Anyways, today i had to visit a temple nearby because my mom wanted me to. So in my own time i went there. I organized my puja thali. And when i was doing so I noticed a little girl who was looking at what i was doing fascinatingly. There was this goat as well who was also fascinated by some flowers and a raddish i had in my thali.  I started doing my puja, fully aware the goat was eyeing my puja thali.  In our culture we first offer puja to lord ganesh. Only then we offer puja to other gods. After doing the same, offering my puja to lord ganesh,i went inside the main temple of Bhairav. She tagged along and later i realized so did the goat.  The goat was disturbing  in a cute way. And the lil girl forcefully offered her help by holiding my thali for me. While i was kneeling down and doing my worship, she was making offerings from the thali herself.  And our bond started. The tem